Thursday 4 June 2009

Ethereal Artwork: Audrey Kawasaki

Overlap
oil and graphite on wood

Ages ago, I emailed artist Audrey Kawasaki to see if it was all right if I wrote a little about her artwork on my blog and featured some of her pieces. She answered me (also ages ago) and was really nice and gracious aaaaaand said that it was fine, so finally, I can finish what I started.

She Who Dares
oil and graphite on wood

It was really hard to pick just a few to put in this post. Honestly though, I could have just closed my eyes and picked -- they're all that damn good.

Tangled He
oil and graphite on wood

Audrey (look at me acting like we're on a first-name basis or something) doesn't often paint guys, so this was an interesting surprise. Regardless of gender, her subjects always look almost magical -- their skin shines as if they're glowing.

As I Fall
mixed media on wood

My Dishonest Heart
mixed media on wood

Her paintings remind me very much of Alphonse Mucha, but also of Maurice Denis. Though his art insists on flatness and hers maintains three dimensions, they both have a way of treating their subjects that makes them seem unreal and almost as if you, the viewer, isn't meant to be seeing them. Let me stop before I start waxing all art historian, but suffice it to say that Ms. Kawasaki is an artist whose work I not only look forward to seeing for many years to come but also hope to own one day.

You can learn about sales she has and everything else she's up to on her blog. Check it out to see an artist truly deserving of everyone's patronage.

All photos from www.audrey-kawasaki.com, exuberant fangirling by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment