Sunday 1 February 2009

Read a book!

Ladies and gents, I have a confession.

I love to read. Right now, I'm in the middle of The Little Friend by Donna Tartt (who I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with in high school... she's SO nice!). Anyway, when you read as much as I do, it tends to creep into other aspects of your life. So without further ado, here's a series of outfits inspired by female literary characters I've been working on lately.


Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland - by silentspring on Polyvore.com

I didn't want to take the easy road and find a blue and white dress and a headband with a bow on it. Instead, I used a striped shirt in Alice's trademark colors and moved the bow to her gloves. No high heels for Alice, since she's got chess moves to make, and a leather jacket and chain bracelet give her just enough edge to scare off Tweedledee and Tweedledum.

(Heh, I'm such a dork.)


Hester Prynne
Hester Prynne - by silentspring on Polyvore.com

This one is inspired by Hester Prynne, one of the main characters in The Scarlet Letter. The infamous letter, here, is on the thigh of her jeans instead of her breast. I gave her a belt with a chain to allude to a chastity belt, but these reminders of her "sin" are hidden by the things she would have worn in that time: the cape, the boots and the bonnet. I was going for a "modern-day Puritan" look... I'm quite pleased with it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment