Thursday 23 September 2010

London Fashion Week, Part 1 (Mary Katrantzou, House of Holland, Fashion Fringe, Basso & Brooke, Betty Jackson)

I'm finally getting to cover London Fashion Week! It's been a very busy week for me, so I had to step away from blogging for a little bit. But I'm back, so here we go...


All hail Queen Mary, sovereign of the digital prints! This time around, it's not perfume bottles, it's... pictures of rooms?? I guess Ms. Katrantzou picked up an issue of Elle Decor or Architectural Digest -- actually, the pictures look like they're from travel brochures -- and thought, "This is it!". I don't know how she makes her prints, but I do know this: they always merit a close look. Prints aside, I must say that she has some interesting touches here: pieces of fabric reminiscent of curtains, skirts that resemble lampshades, and fringe that calls to mind area rugs. I'd say this is much less wearable than her last spring showing, but just as intriguing.

I must say, this is a bit of deceptive editing by me. With just these pieces (and a few others not shown), it seems like Holland's SS'11 collection was somewhat 70's inspired, a little surfer and a little glam, too. That's not entirely wrong, I don't think, but the rest of the pieces were all over the place. Honestly, flat out ugly. If you want to see the rest, please head on over to style.com (which is where I get all my photos for FW)... but I hated the rest of it.





An interesting vibe at Betty Jackson... oversize is definitely in. Long skirts, either by dropping the hem or raising the waist, big pockets, voluminous sweaters, extremely wide-legged pants, and huge t-shirts.


No comments:

Post a Comment